In The Museum
WBMNL’s Children’s workshop offers an age appropriate (ages 5-12) approach to learning about traditional boat building in Newfoundland and Labrador. Activities combine museum learning with hands-on practice to build team-work skills and develop an appreciation for local heritage.
Through interactive discussions and demonstrations, children will learn:
- The types of boats in Newfoundland and their uses
- The differences between a flat and round bottom boat
- The modern and traditional names for parts of the boat
- An explanation and demonstration on how a boat floats
- Traditional boat caulking using oakum
- Net knitting
In The Shed
Under the supervision of our boat builder, children will have the opportunity to learn about the boat building process.
- The workshop begins with a small talk regarding safety and the importance of being careful when working with tools. Children are provided with safety goggles for the workshop and Museum staff are present to ensure continued safety throughout.
- Children learn about traditions associated with launching a boat. This includes superstitions, compass directions, weather and songs.
- Children are taught about traditional hand tools and have the opportunity to use a hand drill and a hand plane.
- With our boat builder’s guidance, children work together to assemble a dory kit specifically developed for children ages 5-12
- Children assembly pre-cut sailboat and take a trip to a nearby brook (Please bring your rubber boots!). Each child takes home his model.
The workshop ends with a presentation of junior boat builder certificates to all participants.
2018 Schedule & Registration
- Please fill out the registration form with all required details along with your PayPal submission.
- If registering multiple children, please adjust the quantity of workshops to be billed in the PayPal cart window to avoid registration issues.
Children’s Boat Building Workshops are offered every Thursday and Sunday in July and August from 1:00-4:00 pm in Winterton, unless otherwise specified. The cost is $25/child.
REGISTRATION FORM SUBMISSION
REGISTRATION PAYMENT DETAILS
For more information or to register via phone/email, contact Dana March at (709) 583-2044 or email firstname.lastname@example.org